Mission Taco opened tonight as the new kitchen of the bar and music venue Revolver in Møllergata. Oslo has a lot of taco places already, but this is to our knowledge the first to be directly influenced by the specific "Mission style" from the Mission District in San Francisco.
The concept at Mission Taco is to offer taco to the people. It is supposed to be an affordable place to eat tacos, in contrast to many of the current taco restaurants in the city, e.g. Taco Republica. You order at the bar, pay in advance, they bring to your table and you eat with your hands.
What we liked about it:
- The prices! Simple tacos at NOK 49-56 and "full package" at NOK 79. We were satisfied by sharing two big and two small ones. Full packages means double tortilla, extra frijoles, sour cream, cheese, lettuce and salsa.
- Mr. Mexican Moose with the sombrero on the wall! As well as other Mexican touches to the interior design.
- The Frijoles Negros for NOK 49. The most affordable option, and in our opinion the best on the menu at the moment. It was juicy, tasty and we didn't really miss the meat much.
- The guacamole. Slightly untraditional in both flavor and texture, but at the same time goes well with the nachos chips. NOK 58 for the chips and guacamole.
- The pickled red onions and carrots. A bit weird with the carrots, but they tasted good.
- Everything on the menu is gluten free at the moment. Everything besides the carnitas can be ordered as vegan and lactose free.
- The music level is just right. Sets the mood, but allows people to talk.
What we hope they will improve:
- Both the carnitas (pork) and the carne asada (beef) were too dry and thus didn't stand out. Slow cooked / pulled types of meat can be some of the best food out there. This did not quite live up to our expectations.
- You should order extra guacamole and salsa! It really is a "must" to add some contrast to the taste of the tacos. We wish they would have told us.
- The place is quite cramped. People struggled getting to their table.
- The wood cutlery sucks. Fair enough, you are supposed to eat with your hands, but if you wanna avoid getting super messy it would be nice with some functional knifes and forks or at least a spoon.
We are looking forward to the upcoming items on the menu, like Baja fish taco, Al Pastor (real Mexican kebab style pork taco) and Sunday breakfast tacos.
Did you visit Mission Taco yet? If so, what do you think? Feel free to leave a comment below.
Here you can find all the restaurants I visit and frequent. From Berlin to Helsinki and from Oslo to Lima.