Last November it was the Mexican kitchen which opened two new restaurants in Oslo - Taco Republica and Tijuana. The first being quite hyped, and the latter almost anonymous in comparison. However, Tijuana became my favorite because of the food, concept and prices, although I can still enjoy Taco Republica as well.
This November, it is the Peruvian cusine - First out was Aymara two weeks ago and yesterday Piscoteket had their opening Pisco Disco.
Both places have received equal distribution of media attention. The Peruvian kitchen is the hype more than the specific restaurants. Piscoteket has Jaime Pesaque, though – chef and owner of Peruvian restaurants all over the world. That does create some expectations.
We were here on opening night, just like Aymara. The menu was a set menu (NOK 450), with options of wine or cocktail pairing.
What we liked about it:
- The huge bar in the middle of the room, pumping out cocktails.
- The presentation of the dishes. It looked good on the plate.
- The interior design of the place, the logo, authetic bus tickets and peruvian posters. Pretty colors!
- The authentic Peruvian music playing in the background.
- The traditional Pisco Sour.
What we hope they will improve:
- The ingredients… Those shrimps we got were super tiny, and couldn’t possibly be fresh. The octopus was tough and hard to chew, I had to spit it out. Some of the entrecote pieces as well. The scallops did not have the same fresh taste or mouthfeel as the ones we got at Aymara. I could even swear some of the vegetables had a taste of being canned… We really hope this was due to opening night and improves in the weeks to come.
- The flavors of the different leche de tigre is a big part of the meal here, and they did not appeal to us as much.
Overall it was not so exciting. Soon they will have Ají de Gallina, Lomo Saltado and Causa on the menu as well, and we will probably go back to test them.
Have you been to Piscoteket? What do you think? Has it improved?
Here you can find all the restaurants I visit and frequent. From Berlin to Helsinki and from Oslo to Lima.